Hi Birders,

This appears to be the week that our regular summer residents are returning.
In the last 2 days, we've caught 17 birds that we banded in prior seasons,
including our House Wren that holds the record for the most times caught in our
nets - at least 28 times since he was banded in 2006 (our first year in our
current location).  His nest is in a dead tree overlooking the river, and he
regularly visits nets 14 and 15.  We also caught 2 long-time Yellow Warblers -
1 that we have caught every year since 2006, and 1 that we banded at the old
location in 2005; we missed him in 2006 he joined us at the new area in 2007.
In total, we have caught 35 from prior seasons, including Robins, Chickadees,
Cowbirds, Downy Woodpecker, Catbirds, House Wrens, Song Sparrows, Chats, and,
of course, Yellow Warblers (12 to date).

We banded 28 new birds in each of the last 2 days.  Here is the species
breakdown:

Downy Woodpecker 1

Dusky Flycatcher 2

Least Flycatcher 1

House Wren 9

Hermit Thrush 1

Grey Catbird 6

Yellow Warbler 10

Audubon Warbler 1

MacGillivrey's Warbler 2

Common Yellowthroat 9

Wilson's Warbler 1

Yellow-breasted Chat 2

Green-tailed Towhee 1

Spotted Towhee 2

Lincoln's Sparrow 3

Song Sparrow 1

Red-winged Blackbird 1

Black-headed Grosbeak 1

Black-headed Cowbird 1

House Finch 1

Lesser Goldfinch 1

We will be open every day, weather permitting, through Memorial Day!

Meredith

Meredith McBurney
Chatfield Banding Station

Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory