Hi all:

I've recently read most of the posts about the McIntosh loon and nocturnal
flights of migrants and had a few things to write in response.  First off, the
pattern that I see in Ted's Upland Sandpipers-over-Boulder data, is that
insomniacs detect more nocturnally-migrating Uppies than do most other birders.
 I mean, I'm almost always up around 11:30 pm, but only rarely so after 2 am.
Thus, I hear very few Uppies going over, Boulder or elsewhere.

Mostly, though, I wanted to comment on the debate about the McIntosh Res.
Pacific Loon and loon flight-feather molt.

What and why?
All loon species (and presumably individuals) conduct a complete flight-feather
molt each year, with the timing of such varying between ages and species. Like
waterfowl, loons drop all of their flight feathers at once (or very nearly so),
becoming flightless for a fairly substantial period (1-2 months). It is
believed that this benefits these species more than a more-typical-for-birds
slower and staggered flight-feather molt, as it reduces the time during which
flight is impaired by missing feathers. Yes, their flight gets supremely
impaired with no flight feathers, but it works. There just aren't a lot of
predators out on the open water that can tackle a bird the size of a loon. It
should also be noted that it would behoove a species that finds it necessary to
use its wings in foraging to NOT drop all of its flight feathers for such a
long period of time. Loons do not use their wings under water, rather using
their somewhat outsized feet to propel them.

Where and when?
On the East Coast, Common and Red-throated loons are both common and widespread
migrants and winterers, but they have very different strategies to dealing with
timing their flight-feather molt. Adult Common Loons migrate away from breeding
grounds in alternate plumage, arrive on winter grounds, and commence their
pre-basic molt, which includes flight feathers. On the other hand, Red-throated
Loons conduct their pre-basic molt on or near the breeding grounds, arriving on
wintering areas in basic plumage and with their flight-feather molt already
completed. Thus, if one goes out on the ocean in winter, all of the
Red-throated Loons fly away, and most of the Commons dive or patter off with
their useless wings rowing them along.

Note that, above, I wrote that "most of the Commons." This is the smooth segue
to the variance among ages of timing and/or location of the flight-feather
molt. First-year Common Loons primarily stay on the winter grounds during their
first summer, conducting their pre-basic molt, which includes their flight
feathers. Most young Red-throated Loons depart NJ latitudes for points north or
elsewhere and, presumably, conduct their pre-basic molt (including flight
feathers) nearer the breeding grounds.

My lifer Pacific Loon was a summering bird in New Jersey, lo these many years
ago, that was conducting its flight-feather molt, was ragged, and very much (in
some regards) disappointing to one hoping to see a stunning bird.

The McIntosh Res. Pacific Loon is simply going through the normal processes of
almost all other Pacific Loons: conducting its pre-basic molt on the safety of
a larg(ish) body of water while killing time waiting to go to the breeding
grounds next summer. Whether all or most young Pacifics follow the Common
strategy or not, the Boulder Co. bird is in no way in more danger than is any
of its conspecifics of that age.

Having none of my references at hand here in Alabama, I cannot send you to
particular passages or pages in certain references, but I would suggest
checking out the various behavior and ecology bird books (Sibley's, Kaufman's,
and the yellow-covered one whose authors' names I cannot recall right now) or
even the old Audubon Encyclopedia of North American Birds (edited by John
Terres). I would bet that it's all in there.

Sincerely,

Tony Leukering
Villas, NJ

P.S. Now is a great time to go out and find migrant Mourning Warblers!!