November 14, 2010

Aiken Audubon will hold its monthly meeting this week.

When:   Wednesday, November 17

Time:    Doors open for socializing at 6:30 p.m.; program starts at 7:00 p.m.;
usually ends between 8:00 and 8:30 p.m.

Where: Colorado Division of Wildlife, 4255 Sinton Road, Colorado Springs;
please enter through the rear door where the class rooms are located.

Guest speaker: Jenuva Turner, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo

Topic: Vulture Conservation: When most people think of the word “vulture”,
not-so-flattering images come to mind. Vultures have been portrayed negatively
over the years; however, as vulture populations continue to disappear around
the world, we need to better understand and appreciate their vital role in our
world as obligate scavengers in order to conserve them.
Come and learn about Colorado’s own native vulture species, the turkey vulture,
as well as vulture species around the world and what is being done to help
protect them.
Jenyva Turner grew up in the Montana countryside, which is where she first
developed her love for birds and all nature. She is currently a zoo keeper in
the African Rift Valley exhibit at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo and manages the
Zoo’s Cape Vulture Quarters for the Conservation program.
“My first special memory of vultures was while I was growing up in Montana and
just getting into bird watching. One morning, I got to witness a flock of
turkey vultures at their roost, sunning themselves with their 6-foot long wings
outstretched. I was in awe! Most of my very favorite moments in nature have
involved a vulture in some way. I feel blessed to be able to work with vultures
every day and I feel a deep connection to them. This is why I am so passionate
about saving them.”

This is a free program; no RSVP required. We hope to see you there!

Christine A. Bucher
Secretary & Publicity Chairman, Aiken Audubon Society
Perched on the edge of Palmer Park, Colorado Springs