Many juncos moving through Teller County today; slate-colored, Oregon,
pink-sided, gray-headed. And several singing.

But one caught my eye - a small slate-colored with broad white wing bars on
primary and secondary coverts.

Bird is smallish - like other slate-coloreds there; definitely smaller than
gray-headed and pink-sided - white-winged should be noticeably larger.
Lacking contrasting lores that aikenii (white-winged) would have; and throat
is not paler as you would expect in aikenii. Didn't get a good read on
amount of white in tail feathers. Overall, the bird was darker
(slate-colored) that you would expect for white-winged; but I don't think
the photos capture the true tone correctly and show it a bit lighter than it
looked with naked eyes and binos.

Got fair enough pics through the dirty window with sun on it.

http://www.sendpix.com/albums/11032116/16411000000000754107cec347bed66d00c67
0cb7366/

Certainly welcome any comments if others feel that this might be an aikenii.

Jeff J Jones

( <mailto:jjo...@jonestc.com> jjo...@jonestc.com)

Teller County - 8500' - Montane Woodlands