Hi all,

    I'm prompted to respond to the thought-provoking comments of Bruce Webb
& Christian Nunes, regarding the use of the word hybrid.

    The definition of hybrid I have found is: "The offspring of two animals
or plants of different races, breeds, varieties, species or genera." It goes
on to mention formed or composed of heterogeneous elements--in other words,
it would also include any offspring of already hybrid parents.  Note it is
*not* limited to the species level.

    While ornithologists tend to use it at the species level, to the virtual
exclusion of the others, other disciplines do not.  Geneticists, for
example, will refer to an individual organism as a hybrid if its parents
differ only between a single chromosome in many cases!

    So Bruce's original use of hybrid was not "wrong".  It is perhaps less
precise, however, and I agree with Bruce that intergrade is a preferable
term when discussing things below the species level--you're acknowledging a
closer relationship.  Staying firmly balanced on the fence, I also agree
with Christian that with such a variable group as juncos, the distinction
between hybrid and intergrade becomes rather blurred.

    At any rate, I found lots of stimulating reading in both posts.  (As
well as Jeff Jones's post on this topic.) I am on quite a few different
state & province birding e-groups, and Co-birds is definitely one of the
more informative & enjoyable to read.

Cheers,

Rob Parsons
Winnipeg, MB