I stopped by Holcim Wetlands around 6 pm tonight on my way back from Pueblo
and found Evergreen birder Scott Dieni already looking for the Least Bittern
family.  Scott said he had been there for about an hour and had not seen any
Least Bitterns but was hearing calls that I confirmed were the 'cooing'
calls of that species.  Over the next hour and a half we heard the Least
Bitterns vocalizing with these 'cooing' calls often.  It was my impression
that some of these calls were more guttural sounding than others and some
more mellow sounding, possibly different by adult versus young???

At about 6:30 pm a non-male Least Bittern flew to the west side of the
wetlands from some unknown location away from the area where we were hearing
the calls and where Doug Kibbe and I both saw Least Bittern in the last two
days.  About 10 minutes or so it flew back to the east and landed in the
large section of cattails in the middle of the wetlands far from the area
where the others had been seen.   This bird was distant so other than noting
that it did not have a dark crown and back like adult males and that the
buffy wing patches were evident in flight, we did not note other field marks
(or absence of field such as the white fuzzy feathering that the fledglings
I photographed yesterday had) so can only say it was a non-male bird.  We
did not see this bird again.  Scott made a rhetorical comment about having
more than one nesting pair here--I responded that this is not out of the
question as the large cattail areas could hide many nesting pairs.

Around 7 pm I spotted a male Least Bittern fly in to the eastern edge of the
cattail patch we had been watching and it landed near a second Least Bittern
that was partially obscured by cattails so age and sex were not evident.
Scott and I both observed the second Least Bittern swallowing some largish
(for their size) prey.  Then the adult male bird flew up and to the west
side of the cattail patch we were watching--it disappeared in there.  A
little later I saw the second Least Bittern scurry (it splashed water up as
it ran??)  across a small section of water into the large area of cattails
we were watching.  I also spotted mostly obscured Least Bitterns in the
middle of cattails several times for short periods of time but could not
make out sex or age field marks.  We left around 7:30 as it got dark and the
insects began swarming.

I didn't take any photos tonight.   I just added a photo to my Birds and
Nature <http://birdsandnature.blogspot.com/> blog that I took yesterday that
I did not crop so you can get a realistic idea of where these birds were
located in the cattails.   When birders go out to look for this family of
Least Bitterns it would be helpful if you would note about what time you see
them and about where they were located.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
Personal blog @