Hello, Birders.

Some sightings from around Boulder County, yesterday, Sunday, Feb. 19th:

Teller Farms feedlot, with Hannah and Andrew. 1 male Merlin, apparently of the
nominate subspecies columbarius; most of the Merlins I see in Boulder County
are "Prairie" Merlins, i.e., subspecies richardsonii. Also a Northern Shrike,
probably an adult. And we saw 5 Western Meadowlarks, presumably the same 5
reported by Christian Nunes last week at Teller Farms. The 5 were all up atop a
hay bale, picking at the straw; a 6th meadowlark was a bit south of the main
feedlot complex.

Prince Lake No. 1 (note, No. 1, not No. 2), with Kei, Hannah, and Andrew. Some
open water and an ice shelf; thus hundreds of close-up gulls, including an
adult Lesser Black-backed, a third-cycle Lesser Black-backed, a first-cycle
Thayer's, and a 2nd- or 3rd-cycle Herring-X-? hybrid. The Herring-X-? hybrid
left me baffled: Plumage-wise, it was generally Herring-like, although with
light gray-brown primaries; and bill-wise, it had a honking big black bill,
with a big ole gonys. I think the bird had Herring Gull ancestry; beyond that,
I cannot say.

Erie Rez, with Kei, Hannah, and Andrew. Just a few dozen widely scattered
gulls, but 5 species, including an adult California, a first-cycle Thayer's,
and a 3rd-cycle Lesser Black-backed. Also neat to hear the displaying Common
Goldeneyes, of which there were about 20.

Coalton Open Space. A large owl was a Great Horned, not a Snowy. Also a few
widely scattered Horned Larks. And check this out: an adult Prairie Falcon that
passed a few feet to my right at knee-level. It kept on going ~2 feet off the
ground, terrifying some lagomorphs (see below), for close to 1,000 feet (I
paced it out), *without a wingbeat*. A quick review of the physics of that feat
(level flight, no wingbeats, no loss of altitude, 800+ feet) suggests one or
more of the following possibilities: weak gravitational field, jet propulsion,
large falcon. Okay, those 800-1,000 feet were along a long, slow, gradual
downhill descent, but still. It was impressive. As to the lagomorphs, I tender
the following stupid question: I gather there are jackrabbits in Boulder
County? Can't recall ever having seen one in the county, but it seems there
were several yesterday at Coalton.

Ted Floyd
tedfloy...@hotmail.com
Lafayette, Boulder County, Colorado