Dear COBIRDers:

I have been contacted by a falconer who lost his first-year red-tailed hawk
on Saturday, March 3rd in high winds.  The bird was last seen in the
Chatfield Ave, Simms/Ken Caryl area. She is wearing bells on both legs, with
narrow, leather flight jesses containing pin-prick holes, and no slits.  Her
USFWS band is on her left leg.

This hawk may be a full Krider's type red-tailed hawk, not a borealis x
krider's intergrade, which are occasionally seen in the metro area. She has
an extremely white head which is almost osprey-like in the appearance with a
fading brown stripe behind the eye. Her breast and belly are virtually
unmarked except for a few brown spots at the top of her legs. From behind,
her back and wings are very mottled, nearly 50% white mixed in with the
brown. Finally, her tail is white/cream with dark brown stripes beginning
mid-way down the feathers; in poor lighting or from a distance, it would be
reminiscent of a snowy owl's. The local District Wildlife Manager for
Colorado Parks & Wildlife is aware of the situation.

I do have photos available, if anyone wishes to e-mail me privately.  In the
meantime, however, if you spot this bird, please call her owner, Peter Stur,
at (720) 934-1353.

Thank you for keeping your eyes open!

--Anne Price

Littleton, Jefferson Co.