I was fortunate to photograph the 8 swans at Canon City Valco Ponds this
morning before the temperature had warmed much and the ice kept the swans
closer to the road.  Even more fortunate they swam even closer so got good
photos of all 8.  All of them showed field marks for Tundra Swans as
identified by Sibley: "Tundra’s eye appears nearly separate from the
bill";rounded borders (not pointed like Trumpeters), 'relatively
short-necked and goose-like', showing 'curve at gape'.  All appeared to be
adults.

I have uploaded one photo of them onto my Birds and Nature
blog<http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com>and will upload a few more
photos this evening.

If anyone unfamiliar with Canon City's Valco ponds is coming to see them,
please be aware that it is still private property and access past the gates
and fencing is trespass.  There is no one working here most of the time so
if several cars and people come in, it will be very obvious to many driving
past there there are people trespassing.  Unless they move due to ice or
whatever close to the road as they did this morning, it will be difficult
to view them legally.  To do so would require walking along side of road
(very busy, driving 50 mph and not much room to walk between irrigation
ditch and road) to view them.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
Blogging for Birds and Blooms magazine @