Birders,

Shortly after noon today, I found a Tricolored Heron at John Martin Reservoir (Bent County). It was on the west end of the reservoir, visible from Clayton Point, the peninsula that juts into the lake at the far west end of the current lake. Access is from the north side of the reservoir, probably best accessed by driving south off County Road JJ just east of Road 20, and working south and east on a confusing network of roads to the point (most roads will eventually get you there, though none will do so directly).

This morning I went to Tempel Grove (Bent County) hoping to relocate some of the birds reported from there yesterday by David Gillilan. No luck with them, but I did have a new batch of migrants, including Blue-headed Vireo, Red-eyed Vireo and American Redstart.

We have not had much rain here, and roads were dry everywhere I went until a small but intense cell formed over Las Animas, then east to Van's Grove between 12:30 and one this afternoon. Conditions could change rapidly.

Duane Nelson
Las Animas, Bent County, CO