Cobirds:
                About a week of raptor surveys for upcoming tours.  Some
data below.  I'm not going to post all the data - way to time consuming.
But hopefully this will give birders some idea what's out there and what
the trends are for the eastern front range area.

>From yesterday's Walks With Nature tour - Boulder and Weld counties:
Bald eagle - 19
Red tailed hawk - 27
American kestrel - 12
Prairie falcon - 1
Rough legged hawk - 5
Northern harrier - 2
Great horned owl - 1
Notes:  Prairie falcon plucking and devouring a bird, up close and
personal.  High concentration of immature bald eagles at Sandbench Ranch
Park in Weld County; get there early to see them.   And close looks at
several rough-legs in Boulder County.

>From December 25th - Boulder and Weld counties, slightly different route:
Red tailed hawk - 7
Ferruginous hawk - 2
Prairie falcon - 2
American kestrel  - 9
Bald eagle - 16
Northern harrier - 1
Rough legged hawk - 5
Notes:  Every kestrel seen was a male.  Bald eagles at close range right
along roadsides.

>From December 22nd, Boulder County; quick pass through:
American kestrel - 6
Bald eagle - 7
Red tailed hawk - 14

>From December 21st:  Boulder, Adams, and Weld county - completely different
route from previous mentioned:
Rough legged hawk - 14
Bald eagle - 6
Red tailed hawk - 16
American kestrel - 8
Northern harrier - 1
Ferruginous hawk - 1
Notes:  Again kestrels, all males.  Good numbers of rough legged hawks east
of I-25;

Noted trends:  rough-legged hawks are in good numbers this year, especially
east of I-25, but are now moving into more westerly regions in Boulder and
Adams Counties.
American kestrels are turning out to be 9 males for every 1 female - I have
no idea why this is - anyone shed some light on this?
Northern harriers look like they are (sadly) still in decline.
Bald eagles in very good numbers this year, especially lots of immatures.
Ferruginous hawks - in very low numbers this year.  I saw lots more
last summer.

Don't miss Gary Lefko's trip to "Raptor Alley".  He always pulls in a lot
of good raptors on that trip.

I intend to do another independent tour again January 4th.  If interested,
contact me via email, but don't post to entire Cobirds group, so you don't
clog the site.  Thanks.

John T (Tumasonis) of Louisville CO