I've been perusing my new copy of Sibley's 2nd edition, and with each
passing day I'm coming to enjoy it more and more. I bought my copy from the
Boulder Bookstore where I checked as many of the copies there as I could
for color rendition and the font/text clarity. All the copies there seemed
to be of the same quality, which I felt was quite good overall.

When I got home I compared the new edition with my old beat-up, worn-down
edition from 2001. I certainly haven't done an entirely exhaustive
comparision, but I tried to compare key species that I'd seen mentioned in
other reviews. I agree that some (but definitely not all) of the reds and
browns that are depicted are quite rich. Specifically, I compared the
depiction of Scarlet Tanager, the coloration of bills in breeding plumage
for Royal and Caspian Terns, and a number of the buteos. For all these,
again I agree that they seem a bit rich, erring on the side of
over-coloration. However, birds like Hepatic and Summer Tanager, the rails,
the buntings, and the dubious Brown Thrasher from the first edition all
look quite good in the new book, to my eyes anyway.

Yesterday, I had the book with me while I flipped through it in a city park
on a gloriously bright afternoon. Interestingly, I thought those relatively
dark illustrations looked pretty good then in bright sun, which made me
think that maybe the key to coping with the darker renditions is to make
sure you have plenty of light available. :)

In the end, I would agree with Chuck H. If you are someone who habitually
buys books online, for this one you might forego that and visit your
favorite local bookshop and check out the copies on hand in person. If you
find it acceptable, buy it there so that you have a version that you are
sure you'll be happy with. The local store owners will appreciate it anyway.

And if nothing else, the updates to the presentation of the species, the
selection of species, and the overall quality of information with them
(identification, life history, behavior) are all just staggeringly good.
Whatever complaints I have with the book are entirely overshadowed by
everything else that is fabulous about it.

Eric

--
Eric DeFonso
Boulder, CO