*David Leatherman*

*Date:  Saturday, May 27, 2017*

*2SPOTS LEFT:  Limited to 10 people in 3 cars*

*Donation:  $60 per person*

Butcher’s Shop?  Be prepared to enter the fascinating and often macabre
world of the Loggerhead Shrike. This plains denizen, is also known as the,
“butcher bird” for its habit of impaling prey on twigs, barbed wire or
thorns.  Indeed anything sharp enough will suffice because although this
species has a classic raptorial bill, it lacks grasping talons to secure
its prey.

Dave, a retired Colorado Forest Service entomologist, is a superb observer
and another great all-round naturalist in our Interludes series.  He has
found shrike territories in Weld and Larimer Counties that will simply
amaze you with the variety of insects, reptiles and mammals with which
these Shrike have stocked their larders.  You might find beetles,
grassphoppers, lizards and birds which have all fallen victim to this
predacious species.  Learn of their natural history and enjoy a day on the
prairie with an expert.  Read more in Dave’s column, *The Hungry Bird* in
the Colorado Field Ornithologist’s Quarterly, Vol. 49, No.4, Fall 2015,
available on line.

BCAS will provide a gourmet lunch.  Bring water, cameras and a sense of
awe.