From: cobirds@googlegroups.com [mailto:cobirds@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
mvjohn...@gmail.com
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 8:57 PM
To: Colorado Birds <cobirds@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [cobirds] 11,000 Red-necked Phalaropes

In the last 2 days, wife Lisa and I have completed bird surveys in the San Luis
Valley. Yesterday I reported more than 3,000 Red-necked Phalaropes at San Luis
Lake, which is open to birders. Today, Lisa reports 8,000 RN Phalaropes at
Blanca Wetlands, which is still closed for the nesting season. That brings the
total to 11,000 plus for the 2 days, which is highest numbers ever recorded for
the San Luis Valley. This surpasses the "several thousand" reported by Spencer
et al in 2008!

Perhaps these cold fronts have held them back, and like a dam bursting, have
resulted in a huge surge for this species.

John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/f807a05f-8c54-42d1-bf52-9f7d297a8287%40googlegroups.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/f807a05f-8c54-42d1-bf52-9f7d297a8287%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.