Hi all,

I posted this yesterday about an owl,  but as OWL-Douglas county.  However, it s really a questions about owl behavior.

Jill Boice

  I saw something very unusual Wednesday  night.   My daughter, Run, volunteers at a ranch near Castlerock.  She does evening chores.  At dusk, we were near the chicken coop and saw a large Great Horned Owl sitting in a spindly pine, very close by.  Under the adult was what looked like one or two owlets.  I was wondering how that owlet got over to the little tree that clearly did not have a nest in it.  Suddenly the adult (she, presumably) spooked and rose up, with her large owlet grasped in her talons and carried it to a tree maybe 30 feet away.  It deposited the youngster in there somewhere.  A short time later she flew further away, to the top of another tree and began hooting.

I have never seen a bird carry its young like that.  Sort of like a mama cat might do.  I don't think I have even read about owls doing this.  Anybody else familiar with this?

Sadly, of course, I did not have my camera on hand.

Interested in others comments

Jill