COBirders,

About 40 enthusiastic birders split into 5 groups to bird 5 areas for the
annual Fountain Creek Regional Park spring bird count. In all areas, observers
noted very strong numbers of migrants, combining for about 98 total species on
Saturday. This is rather above the prior average of about 84.5 total species
per day since 1991.

Highlights included Eastern Phoebe, Great-crested Flycatcher, multiple
Clay-colored Sparrows, Broad-winged Hawk, American Redstart, Northern
Waterthrash, Peregrine Falcon, and Orchard Oriole. Blackpoll Warbler was seen
before and after count-day. We need to confirm, but Great-crested Flycatcher
appears to be a first for the count. Eastern Phoebe, Orchard Oriole, and
Broad-winged Hawk were also comparably really great, and only recorded 1-2
times prior.

I'd also like to thank Colorado Springs birder Dianna Beatty for help with our
on-going data compilation!

Cordially,
Steve Getty
Colorado Springs