It's probably euglena, a unicellular, flagellated organism - an algae -
that has both plant and animal characteristics.  The orange bloom of
certain species of euglena  is toxic to fish,  I hope this is not the case
at Hecla b/c if the fish disappear so will the birds.  I'm going to call
the parks people and ask what they know about it.