Hey, Peter & all.

Hannah Floyd and I were at Little Gaynor Lake, Boulder County, at 10:10 am
this Sat. morning, Sept. 12, and we also saw Peter Ruprecht's *pectoral
sandpipers,* 3 for sure. A 4th bird, somewhat more distant, was perhaps a
stilt sandpiper. Not sure about that, though. Another *Calidris* was a
puzzle; will look at photos a bit later. Along with the *least sandpipers,*
there were some *Baird sandpipers.*

Viewing at Gaynor isn't ideal. The lake is bigger than it looks, and the
glare is strong out there. I suspect the hour right after sunrise might be
best. The lake has had nice shorebirds for more than two months now.
Suboptimal viewing, but optimal shorebird habitat. The smell and the
insects do not bother us. We revel in those things.

Earlier in the morning, over at Lagerman Reservoir, also in Boulder County,
Hannah and I, with Elena Klaver, saw 6 *red-necked phalaropes* and, for
anybody who's keeping count, 277 *American wigeons.* Dainty sulphurs, *Nathalis
iole*, were prolific. A cool thing about the phalaropes is that they were
gratifyingly vocal: *tik..tok...*

And out at Greenlee Preserve, eastern Boulder County, the hummerfest
continues to rage on. Has anyone ever wondered why we don't say CALLY-ope
and fuh-LAIR-uh-pee? Hm?

Ted Floyd
Lafayette, Boulder County