You need to be certain that the bird you heard singing was a female, (which can often only be verified with a bird in hand). It was more likely that you had a calling male that was still in juvenile plumage.

It takes till the spring/summer of male Cassin's finches second year before they get the red coloration.

Scott Rashid
Estes Park