Birders,

On a blustery day with north winds reaching 40 mph, I ventured to John Martin
State Park to buy an annual State Parks Pass. I dared to get out of my car in
the Hasty Campground. It was worth it, despite having to wear a winter parka
and hat.

Near Campsite 79, I had a singing male Northern Parula, a male Black-and-White
Warbler, a male Blackpoll Warbler, and a singing Plumbeous Vireo. On the gravel
under the slide in the playground, I photographed an Ovenbird. I undoubtedly
missed some birds due to the howling wind and cold.

At Van's Grove, I had another Northern Parula, this time a female. There are
numerous closures due to fires, but I saw my third Northern Parula of the day
on the east side of Bent County Road 16 just east of the closed Ft. Lyon
Wildlife Easement.

Respectfully,

Duane Nelson
Las Animas, Bent County, CO