Hi:

I would hope the American Ornithological Union would pause before changing
common names of birds that are named after historic ornithologists as that
could be divisive . Currently we are living in a period of time where
accusations of racism are rampant and consequently we are currently judging
past historic figures based on our current definition of how racist they may
have been. This is how history becomes distorted and historic individuals
unfortunately become misjudged. Let’s wait a decade or so and revisit the topic
again when hopefully our lenses are clearer, less tainted. Why are we in such
the rush to change the common names of birds that have been established for
centuries. We all need to take a deep breath or two and wait to see what
transpires.

Bob Righter
Denver, CO