> > The name is illustrated in Advanced SmPL:
> > http://coccinelle.lip6.fr/papers/cocciwk4_talk2.pdf
>
> Call me stupid, but I just went through it again and I still don't see
> it. There are lots of examples with "@ ..stuff..@" (the first on slide
> 4), but as far as I can tell it never explains what this means.

OK, perhaps it is mentioned in the video:
http://faultlinux.lip6.fr/videos/workshop_videos_2011/Julia_Lawall_introduction_part2.f4v

> Actually, the frequent occurence of @script:python@ makes me think that
> this actually has semantic signficance and is much more than a label
> that I can choose for my own convenience...?

script:python indicates that the rule has python code rather than pattern
matching.  The name of a rule that you can choose freely should not
contain :

> > A variety of metavariable types are listed in slide 11 of the Linux
> > oriented tutorial: http://coccinelle.lip6.fr/papers/tutorial.pdf
>
> Yes, I saw that. But I deliberately wrote "explained" rather than just
> "listed" :-).

In the video, perhaps...

The following paper is quite old, but may also be helpful:

Tutorial paper: Semantic Patches, Documenting and Automating Collateral
Evolutions in Linux Device Drivers
Yoann Padioleau, Julia L. Lawall, and Gilles Muller
Ottawa Linux Symposium (OLS 2007), June 2007.

julia