> An expression metavariable matches an expression of any type.

Thanks for such an acknowledgement.

* Can this fact trigger corresponding challenges for safe transformations
  by the semantic patch language?

* Would you occasionally like to determine the corresponding data type then?

> A struct metavariable matches an expression that has struct type (for any
> struct type).  A char metavariable matches an expression that has char type.

I find this information very interesting for further clarification.

* Is a data type conversion performed by the Coccinelle software?

* Where should the explanation be found in the documentation for such
  software behaviour?

> identifier doesn't fit in this discussion.  It only matches identifiers,
> not arbitrary expressions.

I find that this metavariable will handle more variations for an item
by itself than the specification of a single C data type according to
this attempt for a property comparison.

>> We would like to achieve source code transformations which can be compiled
>> (or not).
>
> No idea what you mean by compiled.

I wonder about such a feedback.

> Compiled by what compiler?

You can choose an appropriate program, can't you?

>> How often will it matter then how these selections will be applied?
>
> What selections?

The source code will be filtered according to the specified metavariables.

Regards,
Markus