On Apr 12, 2008, at 11:26 AM, Eric Gorr wrote:

On Apr 11, 2008, at 11:42 AM, Corbin Dunn wrote:

On Apr 10, 2008, at 5:41 PM, Eric Gorr wrote:

On Apr 10, 2008, at 8:28 PM, Corbin Dunn wrote:

If you're targeting Leopard, there is an NSTableView method you can override for this (a public one!)

-(void)highlightSelectionInClipRect:(NSRect)theClipRect

Ideally this should be the only method you have to override for Tiger also. You may have to coordinate with the cell (or use a custom cell) to get the cell to not draw a conflicting highlight (hence, that is why some people say to override _highlightColorForCell: -- this color isn't used by NSTableView -- it is used by the cell)

The only information I am displaying in the cells is text and, for one column only, a NSImage. Does this mean I can avoid using a custom cell?

If you want custom highlighting, unfortunately you need a custom cell.

Ok, I am working on this. But, while I do so, I have a quick question...if one needs to use a custom cell if one wants custom highlighting, then what is NSTableView's 'highlightSelectionInClipRect' function for or is the point that I will still need to use this function in conjunction with a custom cell?

I'm insetting the rect of the entire row...there shouldn't be any spaces between the columns, just some extra space left at the beginning and end of the row.

Good point! I don't know what I was thinking -- that should work. If you are seeing spaces between them, then it does sound like you accidentally have grids turned on.

I don't have any code to turn the grids on and the Horizontal and Vertical checkboxes for the Grid Lines are turn off in Interface Builder.

Perhaps a correction...I had forgotten about drawGridInClipRect, which I had defined.