Chris Suter wrote:

Furthermore, it doesn't follow the file which was the original design goal.

Going back to the original question, I personally think that the best thing to do is to just create another file and educate the user. Extended attributes and resource forks are all very nice but most users don't understand what they are and they just don't interoperate nicely with other systems.

My first thought on reading this thread is that it would be easiest just to store the data in a zip-type archive file. You could then have all the metadata/resource files included in an archive subdirectory, and everything would transfer nicely across operating systems. OpenOffice.org does this. All of the components of a document are stored in a zipped archive that just happens to have the .odt or .od-whatever extension.

Using an archive file format solves the issue of user education, since it appears to be a single file to the user, gives the programmer the option of including whatever arbitrary resources are needed for this particular file, and also solves the issue of operating system portability, since just about any OS in current use can handle copying a binary file around.

Just my 2d....

Cheers,
Jason