I read that. I'm not sure I completely know what the resource map is. The resource manager keeps track of a table of resource types, and subtables of resource names or ID's as the key in a key-value pair, where the resources themselves are the values. Is that what the map is, that whole data structure that the manager keeps track of?

FWIW, as far as manipulating resource forks go, I was planning to use the NDResourceFork classes (see further up this thread about 20 posts). If what that does is the wrong way to go (I suspect it's not), let me know. And, if I'm wrong about what the map is, if by using NDResourceFork I don't need to concern myself with what a resource map actually is so long as I make sure I stick to my own crazy 4-char resource type (say, dåNd, or s¥$w) and valid resource ID ranges, let me know that also. :-)

And if I do have a substantial part of that right, what are the limits I need to worry about? Uli mentioned a limit of 2727 resources per fork. While that seems absurdly low, it's not like I'd be using a resource for every piece of data I need to keep track of. Far simpler just to serialize my data and write it to a single resource if that sort of limit exists; shove my XML or binary data into blah.blah>resource fork>s¥$w>128. I know that a single resource can be at least 3 MB*. What's the limit there, for instance?

-Dan

*How do I know? Funny story, but the moral is I ended up writing "I will not paste 3 images into ResEdit PICT resources and then email the plugin to someone on dialup" 50 times in penance using a SimpleText copy with the Paste menu item removed.