On 28 Apr 2008, at 07:44, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Others have answered with good suggestions for other APIs, but I will
point out for the record that you can do it in Cocoa, too, because the
file system has a path-based mechanism in which "..namedfork/rsrc" is
appended to the path.  For example, in Terminal:

$ ls -li Documents//Example.doc
108 -rw-r--r--@ 1 aburgh  aburgh  23552 Apr 27  2006 Documents/
Example.doc

$ ls  -li Documents/Example.doc/..namedfork/rsrc
108 -rw-r--r--  1 aburgh  aburgh  286 Apr 27  2006 Documents/
Example.doc/..namedfork/rsrc

Notice that the "inode" is the same (the Catalog Node ID on HFS+), but
size reflects the different forks.  You can use this technique from
any program that lets you specify a path, such as command line
utilities, and you can even read and write the contents of the forks
this way.  This is documented in the Mac OS X system documentation.

Where exactly?
I have found a mention of "namedfork" in man RezWack and some #defines in /usr/include/sys/paths.h - but no other documentation.

Kind regards,

Gerriet.