On 19 May 2008, at 5:21, : Nathan Kinsinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
Subject: Re: Cocoa et al as HCI usability problem

I don't have a CS degree and would qualify, as one poster deridingly
called early mac programmers, as a hobbyist. I have approached
learning cocoa seriously and actually study it; via the documentation,
books, open source code, example code, programmer blogs, this lists
archives, creating test projects, and working on a full application
(slowly, this all comes out of my spare time after all).

I am very sorry if I had given the impression I thought deridingly of early mac programmers as hobbyists. Nothing could be further from my mind. What I actually said in the original posting was:

" However, Apple has been less celebrated for the humanity of its programming
interface having, in my experience of Macs from the Lisa onwards,
seemingly taken the attitude that its programmers were hobbyists,
geeks essentially, who because of their enthusiasm would successfully
negociate their way into the machine's innards."

I am attributing those thoughts to early apple and even then only partially and hopefully a little ironically. Also I don't disparage hobbyists. On the contrary there is plenty to celebrate.

I then follow the above quote by saying
"That said, the 9 tomes of "Inside the Macintosh" documentation of the programmer's
workshop were pretty good once you got into them but there was a lot
less to get into then than there is today."

i.e. intending to mean that contrary to the impression I had got, the mac of the programmer's workshop era actually did take the trouble to produce some very good material.

So again, very sorry to have given the wrong impression.
To be absolutely clear: I think anyone able to navigate the intricacies of Cocoa et al must be a pretty savvy programmer.

Julius

http://juliuspaintings.co.uk