On May 21, 2008, at 12:49 AM, Jeff LaMarche wrote:

This is really a fascinating discussion and, unfortunately, a time consuming one =)

I can't help but feel that we have two identifiable camps forming, and I'm not sure I like that. Though a range of opinions have been stated, it seems that most of us can be readily identified as being on one side or the other of this "quality of documentation" debate. I'm really racking my brains to figure out why - why such a division?

I think one of the major issues is that we're gaining new developers at an extraordinary rate. And everyone learns differently as you say later.

First, how much are you paying for the documentation? How much did you pay for the IDE? I mean, I'd love everything to be perfect for everybody, but let's be realistic here. Apple doesn't derive any direct income from the documentation or from Xcode, and as much as we might think that shouldn't matter, Apple's a corporation, so it's going to matter.

I'm not sure that how much is being 'paid' for the documentation is a valid metric.

I believe (not speaking for the company of course) that both of these areas are viewed as investments.

That's reality, and it's not going to change. Resources are limited, and considering the resources that are available for API documentation, I think they do a phenomenal job, and I honestly hate that some of the comments in this thread could be read as disparaging their work, even if unintentionally.

This consideration is much appreciated. But I think that most of us find that this type of feedback (even when it could be negative) is useful to what our mission is... giving developers the documentation they need to write their apps.

We sort of have to aim our documentation at the mid range developer in many cases. We don't have the facilities to teach basic C or OOP technologies. Sometimes the basics of a technology aren't documented well enough for all external developers (or internal for that matter) to grasp, and we just need to know that.

Apple can't be expected to adjust to that change instantaneously. I don't think it's even completely clear yet who's coming to the platform right now and why. To the extent that people are trying to give feedback to Apple so they know how best to proceed with future revisions to the documentation, I think this discussion is valuable, but at times we veer dangerously close to a pissing match mentality, and when that happens, I don't think it's productive (even when it's me doing it :) )

One point that I'd want to make very clear to everyone (and it has been said over and over) the list is not an official means for providing this type of feedback to Apple. While many of us read it and an benefit from the information we can glean from the list and the users, it's direct contact with Apple via bug reports, enhancement requests (via bugreporter) and the documentation feedback mechanism, that is going to make a significant impact.