No other apps running. UpdateSystemActivity() definitively disables dimming the screen for me (MacBook Pro C2D), regardless which constant I use. In the meantime I found a solution by using some IO... routines of the Power Manager API in this old thread from 2005:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/carbon-dev/2005/Apr/msg00586.html

Regards,
Mani