> Le 11 févr. 2016 à 02:16, Ben Kennedy <b...@zygoat.ca> a écrit :
>
>> On 10 Feb 2016, at 5:00 pm, Gary L. Wade <garyw...@desisoftsystems.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> You've made my point. None of my friends would even bother with looking at
>> the certificate for his site (assuming that's his site from his email
>> address) and move on. At worst, they'd call me and I'd say don't go there
>> since I don't want them to screenshot that and text it to me to figure it
>> out.
>
> No, you are misunderstanding me.  My point is that it may not be valid to
> assume the web server at 213.186.33.24 (to which xenonium.com resolves) will
> answer to HTTPS with a cert for "xenonium.com".
>
> For example, https://213.186.33.24 presents the same "hostname mismatch"
> alert, because the cert is not named for "213.186.33.24".
>
> Conduct the same exercise for any A record returned for www.apple.com, and
> you'll also get this result.  Completely expected.
>
> Now, if Jean-Daniel has stated definitively that https://xenonium.com is
> expected to serve up a matching certificate, you have an argument I would
> agree with.  But for all we know (unless I've missed it), he's serving his
> material at https://ssl13.ovh.net.

Sorry for the confusion. I’m not taking about that web site. It is on a
mutualized hosting platform that forces me to pay to install a certificate that
match my hostname.

If I need to distribute secure content from that site, I can use the
alternative access URL https://ssl13.ovh.net/~xenonium/
<https://ssl13.ovh.net/~xenonium/>.