A few weeks ago I wrote about a demo app that seemed to expire—it would
work perfectly for a few weeks and then crash whenever opened.

Carl Hoefs advised me how to look for crash logs on the device. I did, and
was surprised to find there is no crash log for my app. It’s not actually
crashing!

If I double-click the home button, I find my app there in the task list.
But when I tap to bring it to the foreground, the splash screen shows for a
half second, then I’m returned to Springboard.

If I flick the app out of the task list to kill it and restart, I get the
same behavior. But I have already learned that if I connect to my laptop
and run the app under the debugger, it will reload and run correctly, then
continue to function normally for a few weeks.

Does anyone have experience with such behavior? Could I be doing something
wrong with SpriteKit to make the app hibernate instead of showing the main
scene?

What could make an app resign foreground status every time it is restored?

--

Charles