On 20 Jun '08, at 4:13 PM, Damien Cooke wrote:

When creating a splash screen what condition do you use to decide when to close your splash screen? Is there some obvious event that is triggered that I can use?

Your app delegate's -applicationDidFinishLaunching: method is probably the best place. That's the final callback you're going to get from NSApplication during the launch process; it happens after any documents/URLs are opened.

do I use [window orderOut:self] to close it? Or is there a better way?

That's how you close a window.

That said, I think splash screens are largely unnecessary. Often the presence of a splash screen is a sign that the app launches too slowly. Notice that Photoshop Elements 6 has a splash screen, which stays up for about 30 seconds while it launches, and helpfully shows the names of all the things it's loading. By comparison, Pixelmator comes up in about three seconds on my machine, without showing a splash screen. Guess which app I'm more likely to use?

—Jens