> On Aug 8, 2017, at 9:09, Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 7, 2017, at 5:02 PM, David Hoerl <dho...@mac.com> wrote:
>>
>> But then I though - heck, if Foo has NSObject as its super class, gee, maybe
>> -init isn't really need. I mean, if all of Foo's ivars and properties are
>> initialized, its a shortcut, right.
>
> -[NSObject init] happens to be a no-op empty method. So if a direct subclass
> of NSObject has no -init method of its own, you could get by with just
> calling +alloc. However, I think this would be a really bad idea. If at some
> point you needed to add an -init method to class Foo, like to initialize an
> ivar, you’d have to go and fix all this code that wasn’t calling -init, or
> else you’d suddenly have a number of bugs in your code. Even worse, if
> someone else added the -init method and didn’t know about this quirk of how
> callers initialized Foo, they might have  no idea why their method didn’t get
> called. Yuck.
>
> —Jens

It definitely should never pass in a code review for exactly these reasons and
should be fixed by either adding the init call or changing the alloc call to a
new call (since new is a synonym for alloc init).
If you saw it pre-existing in code that was being checked in, require it to be
fixed. Refusal to type a few characters is absolutely a shortcut to trouble
later (Y2K).