> On Sep 30, 2019, at 8:16 AM, Robert Walsh via Cocoa-dev
> <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com> wrote:
>
> however, to use it to do anything other than building a desktop or IOS GUI
> application seems to result in code with messy syntax and what seem to me to
> be hacks in order to bridge between NS* and CG* code.  (Lots of casts and
> strange machinations for massaging pointers.)

This is true when calling C code from any language that isn't based on C :)
Bridging between different languages is not a simple thing (I've done a lot of
it…) Take a look at how you call C code from Rust, Go, Java,Python, etc.; it's
at least as complex.

> Also, as you've said Swift makes cross-platform development nearly impossible
> because, even though Swift itself is available on other platforms, the
> pre-built components that prevent the developer from having to reinvent every
> wheel from scratch are not.

This is true, but getting less so. There's pretty good support for server-side
Swift now, apparently.

Both of these are complaints about the immaturity of the Swift libraries, not
about the language itself, and the good thing is that libraries are much
easier/faster to build than languages.

—Jens