> On Oct 14, 2019, at 11:25 AM, Carl Hoefs via Cocoa-dev
> <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com> wrote:
>
> I see Computer Science students here falling into two groups. The group that
> likes Swift generally likes scripting languages, Python, and the like.

Whoa, I completely disagree. Objective-C is much, much closer to scripting
languages than Swift, with all of its dynamic features:

* It has the 'id' type that represents any type of object
* you can send a message to an arbitrary object whether or not its class
declares it
* you can intercept unhandled messages and do arbitrary things to handle them
* you can add, remove or override methods at runtime
* you can even create classes at runtime

Swift is very strongly-typed and less dynamic: it's very strict and nit-picky
about types, protocol conformance, etc. Much more like C++.

Are you lumping Swift in with scripting languages simply because its
method-call syntax is more normal looking? Or because compiler type inference
sometimes allows you to omit variable types?

> (There is a third group that likes both languages, but it is very small.)

Most experienced iOS/Mac developers I know like both.

—Jens