On Jul 7, 2008, at 9:48 PM, Evan Gross wrote:

While supporting AX is always a good thing to do, the Dictionary service
doesn't require access to be enabled. Have you tested at all with
accessibility off?

I'm not sure what you're referring to with regards to "accessibility off". If you are referring to the "Allow access for assistive devices" check box in the Universal Access preference pane, that isn't what I was talking about at all. What I did was implement the methods in the NSAccessibility informal protocol such as accessibilityAttributeNames, accessibilityAttributeValue:, accessibilityAttributeValue:forParameter:, and the rest. Implementing these after having implemented NSTextInput caused the Dictionary service to start working with my custom view.

I know that the Dictionary service *does* apparently make use of the accessibility APIs, as if I set a breakpoint in the accessibility methods, they get called quite a bit when one invokes the Dictionary service via command-control-D with the mouse cursor over my view.

My product (well, the new version I'm working on) makes heavy use of the same TSM and AX APIs that the Dictionary service uses (and a few other). I'd be very interested to see a custom NSView that's not derived from NSTextView
that supports these APIs (to know that someone has done it!).

It's not complicated - all you have to do is implement the NSAccessibility APIs (you might have to implement NSTextInput as well - I did before I implemented NSAccessibility, so I don't know whether it would have worked without NSTextInput or not. Regardless, NSTextInput is something you always want to implement anyway if you're making a text view). When you do this, it suddenly Just Works™, just like NSTextView.