On 07/07/08 11:14 PM, "Charles Srstka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm not sure what you're referring to with regards to "accessibility  off". If
> you are referring to the "Allow access for assistive devices"  check box in
> the Universal Access preference pane, that isn't what I  was talking about at
> all.

That is what I was talking about. The Dictionary service will work if "Allow
access for assistive devices" is deselected (off).

> What I did was implement the methods in the  NSAccessibility informal
> protocol such as accessibilityAttributeNames,  accessibilityAttributeValue:,
> accessibilityAttributeValue:forParameter:, and the rest. Implementing  these
> after having implemented NSTextInput caused the Dictionary  service to start
> working with my custom view.

Sure, but when "Allow access for assistive devices" is deselected, those
methods will (should!) not be called.

> I know that the Dictionary service *does* apparently make use of the
> accessibility APIs, as if I set a breakpoint in the accessibility  methods,
> they get called quite a bit when one invokes the Dictionary  service via
> command-control-D with the mouse cursor over my view.

Sure, it uses (possibly requires) NSTextInput (TSM & document access events)
support, and (optionally) accessibility to do it's thing. If accessibility
isn't available ("Allow access for assistive devices" deselected, or the
app/editing view doesn't support access to text via accessibility), the
Dictionary service will work using only NSTextInput.

See what happens if you deselect "Allow access for assistive devices" - as
long as your NSTextInput implementation is complete (enough for the
Dictionary service, anyway), it should still work.

Evan