*sigh*

I haven't looked at these docs recently. With that in mind, here's how I think of things…

YES: Cocoa Bindings ®™ is built on KVC, KVO and KVB

KVB is an informal protocol. So Cocoa Bindings™® provides a concrete implementation (on NSObject) of the KVB protocols.

In addition to providing a KVB implementation, Cocoa Bindings®™ adds a set of reusable controllers to Cocoa.

None of this really matters if you ask me. Did you ask me?

The NSKeyValueBindingCreation protocol itself doesn't explicitly specify whether bindings are unidirectional or bidirectional. Many of the bindings implemented by Cocoa Bindings®™ are implemented for specific Cocoa views (and the Cocoa Bindings®™ provided controllers). Many of these bindings happen to be bi-directional. Yay.

Cocoa Binding™® also happens to provide a super generic implementation of NSKeyValueBindingCreation protocols so that even if you bind something that isn't "exposed" as a binding (like, you wouldn't see it in the object's exposedBindings list), something useful still happens.

Are there two different kinds of bindings? Without getting too philosophical, I don't think there are. Hamish, what are the two types you're thinking of?