On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 7:05 AM, Graham Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 12 Aug 2008, at 8:40 pm, Gerriet M. Denkmann wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm sure if it weren't someone would have raised merry hell about it
>>> before now. Something's fishy...
>>
>> Reminds of a very rational being walking the streets with his son. The
>> son: "Hey dad, there's a hundred dollar note!"
>> Dad: "No son, this cannot be. If the note were real, somebody would have
>> picked it up long ago".
>
> OK, fair comment. But let's look at the string you can't store:
>
> $null
>
> This reminds *me* of the old joke: "Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do
> this!" (...) "Well, don't do that then..."

More like this:

"Doctor, doctor, when I pump my arm, turn my head like this, and say
the words 'klaatu barada nikto' I pass out on the floor!"

This isn't pain, it's a major malfunction. Any reasonable doctor would
immediately get this person some medical care. Likewise, this
NSKeyedArchiver behavior is a serious bug. You seem to be mixing up
the difficulty in provoking it with mildness in effect. It may only
happen in rare circumstances, but when it does happen, what happens is
very bad behavior.

Mike