On 12 Aug 2008, at 8:40 pm, Gerriet M. Denkmann wrote:
I'm sure if it weren't someone would have raised merry hell about it before now. Something's fishy...

Reminds of a very rational being walking the streets with his son. The son: "Hey dad, there's a hundred dollar note!" Dad: "No son, this cannot be. If the note were real, somebody would have picked it up long ago".

OK, fair comment. But let's look at the string you can't store:

$null

This reminds *me* of the old joke: "Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do this!" (...) "Well, don't do that then..."

If that's the one string you can't store, presumably because it's used as a marker within the archive, then don't try to store what is a reserved byte sequence. For its purpose, you can find an easy way around it. What you seemed to be implying was that there is a whole class of string sequences that broke keyed archiving, which of course would be far worse than this one apparently reserved string.

If you need to store "$null", just substitute another string to stand for it, archive that, and reverse the substitution when you decode. If that is the argument between using keyed versus non-keyed archiving, it's an awful lot to lose for a very minor inconvenience for this one case. And, yes, I would probably agree that Apple should be performing this substitution in their code rather than exposing this bug - but then again it would only be shifting the problem onto whatever substitution string they chose, though that could be made very much less likely to collide.

As for file sizes, is that really all that relevant these days? Archives don't store huge amount of overhead compared to the data itself - saving a few bytes here and there is not worth the pain of losing the convenience of keyed archiving.
A factor of two or three may be considered a "few bytes here and there" or might amount to some pain. All according to taste and situation.

True enough, but. A factor of two or three? Depends on what your data is. If you're archiving a large image or video sequence, the archive overhead is going to be an infinitesimal fraction of this. And if not, then you're likely talking about small files anyway. 10K or 30K? It hardly matters. Even if 20K of the file is not data, who cares? I know I'm willing to spend 20K (or even 200K) to read the remaining 10K (or 100K) so very conveniently. Last time I cared about 10K versus 30K was when Macs had an optional external 20MB(!) Hard Disk and 800K floppies.

So yes, according to your taste and situation. But surely the pain of using non-keyed archiving *by far* outweighs these considerations?

cheers, Graham