Sorry, I misread your original posting. You're trying to make the view transparent, not the window. Based on what you're seeing when you set the view's backgroundColor, it looks like the alpha component is being ignored. I would guess that either the IKImageView only supports an opaque background or you need to play with it some more to get transparency to work. One way to find out would be to subclass IKImageView and override NSView's isOpaque method, returning NO.

Also, depending on what you're trying to do, you could always use NSImageView since that does respect transparency, at least when I've tried it with the non-bordered version.