On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 6:53 AM, Alastair Houghton
<alast...@alastairs-place.net> wrote:
> On 29 Apr 2009, at 11:44, Kyle Sluder wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 6:00 AM, Alastair Houghton
>> <alast...@alastairs-place.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> But all of this is somewhat academic in a way, because Apple has handily
>>> provided NSOperationQueue for you which is probably what you should be
>>> using
>>> unless you have some backwards compatibility requirement or some other
>>> requirement that NSOperationQueue doesn't satisfy.
>>
>> NSOperationQueue is broken:
>> http://www.mikeash.com/?page=pyblog/dont-use-nsoperationqueue.html
>
> Yes, it is, though I was under the impression that not everyone was seeing
> problems with it.  However, given the simpler sample program Mike put in the
> comments, it does look pretty borked to me.

It appears that the reason not everybody can reproduce the problem is
because the bug is hardware-dependent. Thus this fact won't save you
unless your code won't ever escape your machine (or 10.5.7 fixes it,
or you only support 10.6 and that fixes it).

> Anyway, there's always
>
> <http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/2008/12/01/raoperationqueue-an-open-source-replacement-for-nsoperationqueue/>
>
> (for instance).

Note that although this is of course the best code ever (ahem) it is
not equally capable compared to NSOperationQueue. (It mostly does
less, but has some extra capabilities as well.) However for what the
poster is after it's probably a good fit, since it's basically a fancy
worker thread.

Mike