In Interface Builder, I dragged an "Image Well" (NSImageView) onto my window and checked the "Animates" and "Editable" attribute flags.

When running my app, I can drag a .gif into the Image Well and it works great -- the animated gif animates.

If I cut and paste back into the same Image Well, the image appears but there is no animation.

Same thing happens when I archive/unarchive -- the first frame appears, but no animation.

So drop works, paste and unarchive don't. Which has me a bit baffled. Clearly, NSImageView has the ability to display animated gif files, because it is doing so for my dropped files. But not for files loaded by other means.

Is there some method I need to invoke after pasting or unarchiving that will cause the gif animation to start?

Would really appreciate any ideas or solutions!