On Jul 13, 2009, at 3:42 PM, David W. Berry wrote:

If I might prevail upon you with another question, the goal is to trigger a short animation, leaving the last animation frame displayed as a lasting part of the image, right now I have a flicker as the animation is removed and then the underlying view is redrawn with the added image. What's the convenient way to avoid the flickering?

Set the final value of the animation on the layer when you add the animation. You'll want to disable actions when you change the current value of the layer as well.
--
David Duncan
Apple DTS Animation and Printing