On 15/10/2009, at 5:24 PM, Peter Hudson wrote:

The user has an NSTableView in which is presented a number of elements ( 1 per row, typically 20 - 200 rows ) out of which they need to produce a number of sequenced sub groups. The user presses the 'Start Sub Group' key ( i.e. clear the sequence selection cache ) and then by picking a possible sequence ( one row/ element at a time ) they build a group. As the group is selected, further info about that particular sub group of elements is presented.
They can close/abort/store a given sub group at any time.

That does make some sense, but falls into the trap of not avoiding modes (in this case a "build subgroup" mode).

If it were me, I'd have two lists: a master list and a sub-group list. Drag items from the master to the group, and allow drag reordering of the group to set the sequence. As a short-cut you could allow a double- click on an item in the master list to add it to the end of the subgroup, which almost duplicates the current approach but with a double-click instead of a single, yet avoids the mode.

Just a thought ;-)

--Graham