Graham's solution is excellent.  You could also have a couple of buttons
between the two lists, with arrows (one right, one left) to move items to
and remove them from, the sub-group list.  And an additional pair to the
right of the sub-group list (one up, one down) allowing reordering.  This
would allow a completely "control" (e.g. Buttons and lists) way of doing it.

Finally, you could present the sub-group info above or below the sub-group
list.