On Feb 23, 2013, at 18:12 , Andy Lee <ag...@mac.com> wrote:

> Also, to repeat part of Graham's question: is the window you're attaching the
> sheet to a floating window or a regular window? Maybe the sandboxing is
> irrelevant.
>
>> How do you run it as a panel standalone - as opposed to as a sheet ?
>
> I don't remember the method name offhand, but you'll find it if you look at
> the docs for NSSavePanel. If you try it and the crash goes away, please let
> us know -- I'm curious.

Peter didn't run it as a sheet. You can see in line 30 of the backtrace that
his app invoked -[NSSavePanel runModal].

Also, according to the backtrace, the crash occurred in Cocoa frameworks (well,
Apple frameworks, since it's in C++ code), so I wouldn't hare off looking for
app memory management errors without any evidence supporting the idea.

Rather, I think Graham's closer to being on the correct track. I've noticed
that 10.8 NSSavePanel does have a tendency to explode, for reasons that are
unclear. When it does that, it continues to explode until you find a way of
getting it past the triggering condition. After that, it behaves properly until
the next time.

My guess is that 10.8 re-architected NSSavePanel (to better support sandboxing,
but affecting non-sandboxing too) in such a way that there is persistent state
stored outside the application. For that reason, quitting the app doesn't
necessarily clear the problem.

My guess is that in Peter's case the popup contains an entry that is no longer
valid. It's possible that clicking the Save button without popping up the menu
will clear it, or perhaps using the Save panel of a different application, or
rebooting. Or possibly there's a preferences file that could be deleted.

That's all speculation, but given the backtrace there's really no evidence the
crash is Peter's fault.