In general, please file a bug report at bugreport.apple.com.  For what it’s
worth, I agree, and I don’t think IB should be doing anything at all to try and
guess what constraints we want, or even to keep them consistent.  The spirit of
the dev tools is to allow you to do whatever you want (even if it’s wrong), and
to tell you when it’s wrong.  The unsatisfiable constraints should simply come
up as errors/warnings when the xib is compiled.  This would lead to a whole lot
less frustration when it comes to IB deciding to change everything you already
set up simply because you added one extra view.

Tom Davie