On Sep 19, 2013, at 3:50 PM, Kevin Muldoon <caoimgh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, IB does automagically pop in constraints and for simple layouts, it
> works. But, with more complicated layouts, moving a single element around
> will rearrange one or more other constraints, generally breaking everything.
> I'm not familiar with the clear

I have yet to spend much time in Xcode 5 with auto-layout constraints, but what
both Kevin and Rick are describing sounds similar to what I'm experiencing. I
have no problem with a smart tool inserting constraints when a constraint I add
necessitates the ones being auto-generated (if such a thing exists, though this
would raise the logical issue of whether the UI ought to display those other
constraints as a package-deal per se, rather than just inserting them, because
in that case, you are really deciding on more than just the constraint you are
adding, you are deciding on the others constraining the UI too).

But that is not what I'm seeing. I'm seeing completely random, in some cases
wholly unrelated, and in others conflicting constraints being added that
completely change the layout visually to something unintended. It's like the
Miss Cleo of development tools, trying to read my mind repeatedly but being
completely wrong. (Sorry, I don't know why the ebaum's World Miss Cleo
soundboard prank call popped into my head as an analogy for this).

Anyway, you get the point. I have found myself actually devoting time to trying
to reverse-think how some of these auto-generated constraints appear, because
some of them are so wacky I find myself wondering that it must be something
ridiculously simple I'm missing.

Brad